- Defining the multiethnic church
- The evolution of the multiethnic church: invisible, idealized, interrogated, re-imagined
- Interrogating the multiethnic church
- Newly awakened to reconciliation and justice but without spiritual formation
- Racial justice viewed through partisan lenses
- Confusion on the goal
- Conforming to cultural whiteness
- Re-imagining the multiethnic church
- Importance of diverse (especially Black) leadership
- Importance of place/community and how you see yourself in relationship to it
- The formational potential of creation/place
- Belonging to the “big-C” multiethnic church; the role for mono-ethnic churches
- How is reconciliation being demonstrated?
- How are reconciled disciples being made?
- How is the racial hierarchy being disturbed?
Michelle is a Doctoral Candidate at Loyola University where she is completing a Ph.D. in Sociology of Religion; her focus is on multiracial congregations. She is a Teaching Fellow at North Park Theological Seminary. Pastor Michelle has been dedicated to the work of racial reconciliation for nearly two decades and has helped to plant two intentionally multiracial churches in Chicago. She and her husband Karlos have been married since 2003 and are the proud parents of two amazing daughters.
David and Maggie have been married since 1999. They are the parents of two wonderful sons. David is passionate about racial justice and reconciliation within the Body of Christ and regularly writes and speaks about these and similar topics. He is Ordained to Word and Sacrament with the Evangelical Covenant Church.
- The Elusive Dream: The Power of Race in Interracial Churches by Korie Edwards (2008)
- Divided by Faith: Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race in America by Michael Emerson and Christian Smith (2001)
- Subversive Witness: Scripture’s Call to Leverage Privilege by Dominique Gilliard (2021)
- Trouble I’ve Seen: Changing the Way the Church Views Racism by Drew G.I. Hart (2016)
- White Awake: An Honest Look at What it Means to Be White by Daniel Hill (2017)
- The Christian Imagination: Theology and the Christian Origins of Race by Willie James Jennings (2011)
- Roadmap to Reconciliation: Moving Communities Into Unity, Wholeness and Justice by Brenda Salter McNeil (2016)
- Rediscipling the White Church: From Cheap Diversity to True Solidarity by David Swanson (2020)
- Shalom and the Community of Creation: An Indigenous Vision by Randy Woodley (2012)